Montrose, PA, United States
About Marc Schimsky
Friends and family are my main sources of inspiration. My paintings deal mainly with matters of movement, energy, rhythm, the ephemeral nature of life, the passage of time and a fascination with people. My subjects are explored through the use of vibrant color, loose yet authoritative brushwork and the illusion of motion. Borrowing qualities found in photography, I occasionally blur parts of my figures as if to freeze-frame them in the fleeting moment of a familiar experience. His intention is to reveal something mysterious or magical about their personalities. In addition to painting, I'm also a printmaker. There is a physicality to printmaking (especially etching) that I love. It simply does not exist in the realm of any other 2-D medium. An etching is an art object in itself. It is almost sculptural. The feel of pressing or embedding an image into the dampened fibers of a fine imported piece of 100% rag paper is for me extremely sensual. I also find the repetition in printmaking very appealing. There's something very meditative about it. My Solarplate etchings have become a bridge between digitally collaged images and real, tangible art objects. The content of these etchings is based on bits and pieces of old drawings, my own snapshots and vintage photos salvaged from antique shops, flea markets and garage sales. I re-purpose these elements to create or invent a narrative that reveals the juncture of two worlds...the past and the present...the seen and the unseen. I like to call them "recycled narratives". http://marcschimsky.com
M.F.A. Printmaking, Painting, Pratt Institute, 1976 B.S., Art Education, SUC, Buffalo, 1971 L'universita di Siena, Art History, Siena, Italy, 1969-70 Istituto Statale d'Arte di Duccio di Buoninsegna, Siena, Italy, ceramics, sculpture, fresco painting 2001 - Fellowship, Maine College of Art, Portland, Maine - Drawing, Jewelry Design - Honour Mack & Sharon Portelance, instructors 2000 - Fellowship, School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Drawing, Painting - Matthew Girson, instructor 1984 - C.W.Post/L.I.U., Brookville, NY - Computer Art 1981 - SUNY, Stony Brook, Stone Lithography - Dan Welden, instructor
You are cordially invited to the opening reception for
Featuring the work of
MARC SCHIMSKY & Roberto Bertoia
Saturday, June 28, 2014. 6 - 9 pm
ON EXHIBIT UNTIL JULY 26, 2014
- 2013 - Northeastern Biennial Twenty Thirteen, AFA Gallery, Scranton, PA. Honorable Mention Painting, Cash Prize & Exhibition Award
• 2012 - Jeanie Tengelson Gallery, Art League of L.I., Dix Hills, NY.
• 2011 – Roberson Museum’s Regional Art Exhibition – Sawtelle Gallery, Roberson Museum and Science Center, Binghamton, NY. Juror’s Citation
• 2011 - Linus Galleries, Pasadena, California
• 2011 “Words & Numbers: 40 Artists, 20 States,” Union Street Gallery, Chicago Heights, Illinois
• 2008 - B. J. Spoke Gallery, 27th Annual EXPO Competition, Huntington, L.I., New York, Award in Painting. Juried by Marjorie Weinstein, Whitney Museum of American Art
• 2007 - Roberson Regional Art Exhibition, Sears Harkness Gallery, Roberson Museum
• Binghamton, NY. Awarded “BEST-IN-SHOW” by juror, Philip Pearlstein
• 2006 - “Driven To Abstraction”, Long Beach Arts Center, Long Beach, California
• 2005 - Art In Human Motion, Fredericksburg Ctr for the Creative Arts, Fredericksburg, VA.
• 2004 – International Juried Show, New Jersey Ctr for the Visual Arts, Summit, NJ - Merit Award
• 2003 - "Body, Mind, Spirit" Juried Exhibition, East End Arts Council, Riverhead, N.Y.
• 2002 - 25th Annual "Art On Paper" Exhibition, Circle Gallery, Annapolis, Md.
• 2001 - Heckscher Museum or Art, Annual Juried Exhibition, Huntington, N.Y.
• 2000 - 16th Annual Open Juried Competition, Firehouse Gallery, Nassau Com. College, Garden City, N.Y., Purchase Award