Alec is an artist who works internationally, having spent several years working and living in Delhi, India.
Now back in the UK, he is developing and processing the vibrant multi-sensory stimulus that he discovered whilst living in such a vivid place, as well considering other places he has spent lengths of time in throughout his life, such as California and Sri Lanka. This multi-sensory sense of movement within place translates into a ‘pan global’ vocabulary evident in his mixture of Western/Eastern influence in his painting style.
His practice, oil on canvas, is traditional in medium, although the images that jump in and around the canvas are vibrant and playful, exploring the concept of fleeting moments. Within his abstracted painting style there are shapes and forms that lead to suggestions of 'things'. This idea of semi-recognisable forms can suggest a narrative throughout the painting, these forms or shapes can appear through drawings, thoughts, ideas and lived or imagined experiences.
The paintings he creates may suggest spaces he knows, vibrant fabrics or places, or perhaps a moment glimpsed whilst laying poolside, or even a collection of observed objects, such as tyres stacked on the road or a table laden with drinks and paraphernalia.
Many of these elements are enhanced by a desire to explore the way light in space, either imagined or real, enhances the compositions he allows himself to glimpse.
This could be the bright harsh light that makes colours pop or a shimmering hazy light, recognisable from time spent in brighter sunnier parts of the world, California, India, Sri Lanka and Cyprus, The way it soaks its surroundings and makes the paintings vibrate, creating a resonation with this movement and moment, this creates an observation of the world through an imagined place, a playful space that translates into his own vocabulary on canvas
• Ba (hons) Fine Art, Norwich School of Art and Design 2004-2007
• BTEC National Diploma Fine Art, Norwich City College 2002-2004
October 2017 - December 2017, Dove Street Studios, Norwich, UK
June - July 2017, Goa Chitra Museum, Benaulim, Goa, India
July 2015 – July 2016, Norwich Cathedral School, Norwich, UK
November 2011 – November 2013, NIV art Centre, Delhi, India
October – November 2010, ICA Gallery, Jaipur, India
August 2020, Banditto Residency, Tuscany, Italy.
October 2019, 'Perfect Adventures' The edit Gallery, Limassol, Cyprus (SOLO)
October 2019, The Other Art Fair, Victoria House, London
September 2019, The other Art fair, the barker hanger Los Angeles.
July 2019, Summer 19, The Edit Gallery, Limassol, Cyprus (GROUP)
April 2019, Kunsthalle, Aeroskobing, Denmark (GROUP)
March 2019, The other art Fair Los Angeles.
March 2019, The other Art Fair, the old Truman Brewery, London
January 2019, Artists are the new athletes, The Edit Gallery, Limmasol, Cyprus (GROUP)
December 2018, A winters Tale, Paul Stewart Gallery, Paris, France (GROUP)
October 2018, The Other Art Fair, Los Angeles, The Barker Hanger
March 2018, The Other Art Fair, Los Angeles, The Majestic Downtown
December 2017, 'Dialogues with India', Dove Street Studios, Norwich (SOLO)
February 2017, ‘Stripped Bare’, The Stainless Gallery, New Delhi, India (SOLO)
March 2016, ‘Provenance Norwich’, The Crypt Gallery, Norwich School, Norwich, UK (SOLO)
November 2015, ‘ Art & Soul ‘, Bang & Olufson, Norwich, UK (SOLO)
• September 2015, ‘Alec Cumming ‘New Painting’’, The Atkinson Gallery, Millfield,
Street, Somerset, UK (SOLO)
December 2013, 'To Wander, To Lust', The Gallery, at Norwich University of the Arts, Norwich, Norfolk, UK (SOLO)
July 2013, 'Earthly Epics, Paradise Spice', Art 1821, Norwich, Norfolk, UK (SOLO)
September 2012, 'To Wander, to Lust', The Queens Gallery, British Council, New Delhi, India (SOLO)
September 2011, ‘A language of its Own’, Alan Wheatley Art, 22 Masons Yard, Duke Street, St James, London (SOLO)
June, 2010 , ‘Forms that Flow’, Alan Wheatley Art, 22 Masons Yard, Duke Street St Jame's, London (SOLO)
• September 2017, Seeing Things, Two man show with James Metsoja, Nunns Yard Gallery, Norwich, UK
• January 2016, India Art fair 8th Edition, Delhi, India
• January 2015, India Art Fair 7th Edition, Delhi, India
• November 2014, Printed Painting, Alec Cumming And Tazelaar Stevenson, 13A, St Augustines Street, Norwich, Norfolk, UK
• July 2014, Holt Festival Art Prize, The Auden Theater Foyer, Holt, Norfolk, UK
• February 2014, India Art Fair 6th Edition, Delhi, India
• December 2013, Mumbai Art Festival, Art and Aesthetic, Mumbai, India
• October 2013, 'Own An Original', Art And Aesthetic, Lado Sarai, New Delhi, India
• September 2013, 'The Deck Of Cards', Art 1821, Norwich, UK
• September 2013, 'The Black Frame Project: Your Singapore', Indigo Blue Art, Singapore
• August 2013, 'Time Will Tell - Forms and Expressions Of Young Contemporaries', Art and Aesthetic, Lado Sarai, New Delhi, India
• April 2013, Salon de Printempts, Art 18/21, Norwich
• Febuary 2013, India Art Fair 5th Edition, Delhi, India
• November 2012, Mumbai Art Festival, Art and Aesthetic, Mumbai, India
• June 2012, Summer Bodies, Art 18/21, Tombland, Norwich
• July 2012, Norfolk Contemporary Art Socioty, NCA 12, The Forum, Norwich
• Febuary 2012, West:East, Exhibition with Mathew Lanyon, Art 18/21, Norwich
• Febuary 2012, Val Baroda, MS University Gallery, Baroda, Gujrat, India
• January 2012, 4th India Art Fair, New Delhi, India
• July 2011, Salthouse 11, 'Ad limina', Salthouse, North Norfolk
• May 2011, Summer Exhibition, Art 1821, Norwich
• March 2011, Inspirations, Jarrolds, St James Mill, Norwich
• January 2011, India Art Summit 2011, New Delhi, India
• December 2010, New Paintings, ICA Gallery, Jaipur, India
• October - November 2010, ‘The Touch of Paint, Maggi Hambling, Tory Lawrence, Chris Newson’, Alec Cumming, Art 1821 Gallery, Norwich
• February 2010, Raw Gestures, Art 1821 Gallery, Norwich