View In A Room
Add to Favorites
Painting: Ink, Oil on Canvas.
• Created digitally on January 3, 2018 in Manila, a day before I was to depart back to Las Vegas, my abstract on Elton John was my first for the year, and I created it while I was relaxing in my condo, where I could not stop listening to Elton John’s scintillating, powerful recording of ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’, which is a Beatles original.
• Brushing his image with mostly linear white paints, my idea was to picture him standing on top of his bench pounding the piano keys with his feet playing ‘Crocodile Rock’, his first hit in 1972 which he composed with his lyricist Bernie Taupin. My abstraction of Elton John was initially conceived from when I took my family to watch him and his band performed at a sold-out 1974 concert at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan.
• As a singer, pianist, and composer, Elton John ranks among the longest enduring soft-rock male singers since the 20th Century, and continued to entertain millions of pop music lovers with hit after hit - including the sad ballad ‘Daniel’, ‘Rocket Man’, ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’, ‘Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word’, ‘Nikita’, Candle in the Wind’, ‘The Bitch is Back’, and many others. In Britain, Elton John, worth £290M, is listed as the 4th richest British musician behind Paul McCartney (£800M), Andrew Lloyd-Weber (£740M), and U2 (£548M). Soon to retire at 70, Elton John has won 6 Grammy Awards; produced 30 albums; and sold million records worldwide. As an open-gay celebrity, he’s been married to 54-year old David Furnish, also gay, for years. In 2016, the gay couple adopted baby boy Zachary, born on Christmas Day in L.A. and delivered by an unidentified surrogate woman who was provided with sperms ‘donated’ by both the husband and husband. Neither Elton nor David knows which of their sperms had connected with the egg of the surrogate. When interviewed by Barbara Walters in 2017, Elton John said that he will stop entertaining in May at Ceasars Colosseum in order to spend more time with his son.
• I should note that when Elton John came up with ‘Daniel’ as a big hit in 1973, his inspiration came upon hearing that a young Texan had refused to be welcomed as a hero, after he came back to his farm alive as a Vietnam War veteran. Elton John felt so emphatic about the veteran’s behavior that he decided to compose ‘Daniel’. And when Princess Diana died in a car accident on August 31, 1997, Elton John composed ‘Candle in the Wind’ and sang it as a funeral farewell tribute to Diana. As of 2006, ‘Candle’ became the 2nd most popular single ever recorded in history, selling 33 million copies worldwide.
• Finally, if Sir had not donated hundreds of millions for years particularly to HIV/AIDS charitable causes, he could well rank as the wealthiest English musician among those on the British Rich List.