Pine Bush (Cragsmoor), NY, United States
About Joan Lesikin
Born in the NY in 1947, Lesikin has made her home in the Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY. She has also lived and worked in Morocco, Spain and Austria. She says: "I am interested in cloth and other everyday objects. My latest work, Bodyscapes, has bodies reclining beneath striped cloth to create mountains--like the mountains I live in! Cloth has traditionally been paintings background, but I bring the cloth to the foreground, wanting viewers to see the human form within the landscape created by the cloths drape and fold." Other series are available for view on the website www.LesikinArt.com. Lesikin says, "In the series Out from Under, I use women's and men's underwear to invite viewers to see undergarments in a new light through the changes of scale and intention in order to transcend them as familiar objects. In the Private Parts series, I explore the male sexual organ in relation to women and to objects."
Joan Lesikin received her art training at Rutgers University (MFA), Syracuse University (BFA), and the Arts Students League (Woodstock). Her work is in numerous collections, including the former Museum of Modern Art Loan Collection, NYC; Galleria Juana Mordo, Madrid, Spain; and French & Co. Gallery, NYC. Please go to www.lesikinart.com for a complete list.,
Last Exit: Painting at The Bakehouse Art Complex
561 NW 32nd Street
Miami, FL 33127
September 11 - October 10, 2015
Two of my pieces are in the show
* Bakehouse Art Complex, Miami, FL. Last Exit: Painting: juried group show, 2015. [Two pieces.]
* Woodstock Artists Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY. Active Member Wall: Invitational solo
* Wired Gallery, High Falls, NY. Cragsmoor Artists Today: group show, 2015.
* Healing Arts Gallery, Ellenville Regional Hospital, Ellenville, NY. Solo show, 2015. March 30 – May 22.
* Visual Arts Gallery, SunyUlster, Stone Ridge, NY. Peace & Justice: juried group show, 2015.
* Stray Cat Gallery, Bethel, NY. Three-person show, 2013.
* Ellenville Public Library & Museum, Ellenville, NY. Solo show, 2013.
* Barrett Art Center, Poughkeepsie, NY. 27th Annual National Juried Contemporary Art Exhibit: New
Directions ’12, 2012.
* Limner Gallery, Hudson, NY. Surreal Visions: juried group show, 2011.
* Unison Gallery, New Paltz, NY. Solo show, 2011.
* Red Eft Gallery, Wurtsboro, NY. Four group shows, 2009, 2010.
* Woodstock Artists Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY. Eleven Pick Two: group show, 2009-10.
* Woodstock Artists Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY. Solo show, 2009. Juried competition.
* Pomona Cultural Center, Pomona, NY. Spring Exhibit: three-artist show, 2009.
* The Main Street Gallery, Groton, NY. National Small Works, Painting: juried show, 2007.
* Roberson Museum and Science Center, Binghamton, NY. Susquehanna Regional Art Competition: juried show, 2007.
* River Stone Arts Gallery, Haverstraw, NY. Group show, 2007
* Garnerville Gallery, Garnerville, NY. Juried show, 2006.