“I became a photographer because I can not live with the idea of experiencing beautiful moments only once. I love to see and feel these moments of time indefinitely, over and over again”.
Emmanuel Gimeno was born in France and studied high academic and visual arts technique at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Troyes, France. He graduated with honors in 1990 with a thesis exclusively composed with photography; which since then became his medium of choice.
He lived between Paris and New York for more than 20 years, conducting work of conceptual art, fashion photography and international creative direction consulting.
As a great admirer of Gilles Deleuze, he also believes Art is an act of resistance before being any kind of communication tool. He always preserves his disruptive visions which have brought him both great achievements as well as intriguing rejections.
"Some of my best work lies in my rejection drawer".
In 2016, Emmanuel Gimeno was awarded by PX3, Paris Photography Prize, won the 1X-One Exposure Prize (abstract category) in early 2017, and was selected by The Kuandu International Animation Festival of Taiwan for his short animation movie "Crush it and disappear". Most known for his work of image sequences, fragmented-cut negatives and multiple exposure techniques, Emmanuel Gimeno's approach teases the viewer with his shifted contemplations.
Ecole Superieure des Beaux Arts (Superior School of Fine Arts), Troyes, France
- 1990 “ Hate of Love”, Bourse du Travail Gallery, Troyes, France.
- 1996 “Space and Time”, Art Collective, Le Monde de l’Art Gallery, Paris.
- 1997 “Space and Time”, Art Collective, Arthotèque Museum, St Denis de la Réunion
- 2001 “Art For New York” - Group Exhibition - DPM gallery, New York, New York, USA.
- 2004 Group exhibition, Espace Cultural Ample, Barcelona Spain.
- 2008 “Sayaka Hodoshima” - Group exhibition - Marie Pierre Carini Gallery, Bordeaux, France.
- 2009 “Little Monkeys”, Passage Bordelais Gallery, Bordeaux France.
- 2012 “Biennale de la photograhie de la vigne et du vin” - Group exhibition - Espace Vinexpo, Bordeaux, France.
- 2013 installation for permanent exhibition Photography+mixed media "Chick Ticker" Espace Ceva, Libourne, France
- 2015 Editors choice gallery, Lens Culture Portrait Award 2015
- 2015 Editors choice gallery, Lens Culture Visual Storytelling Award 2015
- 2016 “Crush it and disapper” Awarded Photography series, Honorable Mention, PX3, Paris Photography Prize, France
- 2016 “Our need for consolation is insatiable” Stig Dagerman tribute, Winning photography, 1x Photo Awards 2016, Abstract Category, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2016 “Crush it and disappear” Animation constructed entirely from still photos - Selection of The Kuandu International Animation Festival (KDIAF) , Taiwan
- 2017 Selected for the Editors choice gallery, Lens Culture Exposure Award 2017
- 2017 “le manifeste couleur" - Group exhibition- Arthotèque Museum FRAC REUNION, St Denis de la Réunion
- 2017 “Oysters and Nail polish” - Group exhibition - Rare Tempo Gallery - Denver, Colorado, USA
- 2018 Editors choice gallery, Lens Culture Exposure Award 2018
- 2019 Editors choice gallery, Lens Culture Portrait Award 2019