About xanthippe tsalimi
Xanthippe Tsalimi â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹is a Greek fine artist that has lived and worked throughout Athens most of her life. A life in Southern Europe has provided her the opportunity to travel to many places throughout the continent; inevitably influenced by her exposure to diverse art and cultures. These travels also included art instruction, as well as presentation of her artwork. Upon her initial visit to North American 2010, she visited New York City and Boston, exposing her to the fine art world on these shores. The experience of that trip finally led her relocate to New York City where she currently resides and works.
Xanthippe studied painting at the Athens School of Fine Arts, under the instruction and tutelage of very renowned Greek artists J. Valavanidis, P. Charalambous and M. Manousakis. During this period she completed courses in stage design, digital art, typography and graphic design, with additional courses in educational studies in academics and art. Art studies were preceded with a bachelorâ€™s degree in interior design and architecture at the School of Graphic Arts, at the Technological Education Institute in Athens. In addition, these studies were supplemented by her attendance at Helsinki University of Art and Design in Finland, with the aid of a grant where she participated on a multi-national art project.
â€‹After Xanthippe completed her studies, she was awarded a scholarship from the Royal Academy of History and Art of San Quirce and Madridâ€™s Academy of Fine Arts (2007 & 2008). The award granted her residency in various landscape workshops and exhibitions in Segovia, Spain.
â€‹Xanthippeâ€™s primary artwork consists of oil paintings, of different scales and formats. Her work is an amalgam of environmental and atmospheric abstracts. Images that evoke mood, ranging from tranquility and solace, to turbulence and chaos. Her work is atypical of Mediterranean art; It is timeless and reflective, human presence is strongly implied and yet void within the landscape. An experience of places and emotions, much like a not so distant memory or of a time that may or might not have come to pass. The landscapes are neither vacant nor desolate, but rather strong in sentiment and very much alive in their moment.
â€‹During the past several years, Xanthippeâ€™s artwork has achieved much notable recognition. Her work has been shown throughout Greece, Spain, France, Finland and within the United States. Her most recent solo exhibition was held for an extended period at one of the most prestigious art gallery in Athens; a show that drew much attention and praise.
- "Xanthippe Tsalimi - Painting", Athens Art Gallery, Athens, Greece, spring 2012
- "Xanthippe Tsalimi - Moments", Aspro Art, Athens, Greece, 2009
Selected Group Exhibitions
- “Artworks in Small Dimensions”, Argo Gallery, Athens, Greece, 2011
- “December ”, Art Floor Gallery, Paris, France, 2011
- “Art-Paris 2011” Art Fair, Grand Palais, Paris, France, 2011
- “Mnimes Topon”, Eikastikes Anazitiseis, Athens, Greece, 2011
- “The human Figure in Art”, Athens, Greece, 2010
- “Resist” – Unicef, Athens, Greece, 2009
- “Pintores Pensionados”, Palacio de Quintanar, Segovia, Spain, 2008
- “13+7 Artists for Love”, Athens, Greece, 2008
- “Synousies”, Eikastikos kyklos, Athens, Greece, 2007
- “Woman”, Gallery Psihari 36, Athens, Greece, 2007
- “4 Young Artists”, Athens, Greece, 2006
- “Where is Love”, Athens, Greece, 2005
- “Floating Gardens”, Helsinki, Finland, 2000