Born in Leeds, England, Carol Morrison immigrated to Halifax, Nova Scotia, to work as a research scientist with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. She has had a lifelong passion for painting, culminating in the recent completion of her BFA degree at NSCAD. Her interest in investigating the natural world around her, which led her to a career as a biologist, has also led to paintings of landscape, still life and portraits. She is most influenced by the vibrant colors and expressive yet delicate brushwork of Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven, and uses similar techniques to express her interaction with nature. Her paintings can be seen in the Art Sales and Rental Gallery in Halifax, NS and the ADJA gallery in Liverpool. The NS Art Bank bought her paintings in 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2010. Portraits by her are installed at the IWK Health Centre in Halifax, NS, the Halifax Infirmary, NS, and at the Central Office of the Canadian Institute for the Blind, Halifax.Her work is in numerous private collections in Canada and the USA. In 2005 she received an award for an emerging artist from the Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation., and in 2009 she received a NS Creation Grant for a project painting victims of injustice using material provided by Amnesty International.
Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. BFA honours with major in painting. 2005.
IWK Health Centre, Pathology Dept. Postdoctoral fellow. 1999-2002.
Dalhousie University PhD, Zoology 1971.
St. Mary's University B.Ed, Science and French. 1971.
Oxford University, England. BA Honours, Zoology. 1964.
2017. Residency in Parrsboro.
2008. Creation Grant. Province of Nova Scotia, Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage.
2005. Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation. (Award for emerging artist
Paintings bought by Nova Scotia Art Bank 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010.
Art Exhibitions (selected)
. Parrsboro landscapes. Artlab Gallery, Parrsboro.
.Over the Edge. (solo). Craig Gallery, Dartmouth, NS.
• Dramatic Vistas. (solo). Swoon Fine Art, Hammonds Plains. NS.
• Winter Scene. Juried group show. Swoon Fine Art, Hammonds Plains, NS.
• Farm Life. Juried group show. Swoon Fine Art, Hammonds Plains, NS.
• New work. The Bread Gallery, Brooklyn, NS.
• Portraits of Injustice, McCarthy Gallery, Truro, NS.
• New work, Russia and Nova Scotia. Swoon Fine Art, Hammonds Plains, NS.
• Portraits of Injustice. J. Franklin Wright Gallery, Port Hawkesbury, NS.
• Portraits of Injustice. St John Arts Centre, NB.
• City Seen. Juried show. Swoon Fine Art, Hammonds Plains, NS.
• The Other Side. Swoon Fine Art, Hammonds Plains, NS.
• Portraits of Injustice. The People’s Place, Antigonish, NS.
• Nova Scotia Adventures, work by Carol Morrison. (Solo). Swoon Fine Art, Hammonds Plains, NS.
• Paris Salon. VANS Regional Group Show. Craig Gallery, Dartmouth, NS.
• Paintings by Carol Morrison, featuring Cape Breton Scenes. J. Franklin Wright Gallery, Port Hawkesbury, NS.
• Pine Grove Park (near Liverpool). (Solo). ADJA Gallery, Liverpool, NS.
• Portraits of Injustice. (solo). Ralph and Rose Chiodo Harbourside Gallery, Pier 21, Halifax, NS.
• Roots. SCA juried show. St John’s Art Centre, NB.
• “Flight”. VANS Regional Show. Shearwater Aviation Museum. Dartmouth, NS.
• The Future of Peace. (Juried Show). UNB Art Centre. NB.
• Four Seasons. (Solo). McCarthy Gallery, Truro, NS.
• “Size Matters” Harvest Gallery, Wolfville, NS.
• Rocks and Sparkling Waters. Scenes of Nova Scotia (Solo). Craig Gallery, Alderney Landing, NS.
• Recent Oil Paintings. (Solo). Advantage Frame and Gallery, Fall River, NS.
• Art Off the Map. FRED Gallery, Halifax, NS.
• Kermesse Art Gallery – commissioned to provide painting for raffle. IWK Health Centre, Halifax, NS.
• Crossing Borders. (Juried Show). Keenan Center, Lockport, New York.
• Recent Oil Paintings: Landscapes of Nova Scotia. (Solo). Rossignol Cultural Centre. Liverpool, NS.
• Society of Canadian Artists 40th National Open Juried Exhibition, Ogilvie, Montreal.
• Radiance (Juried Show). Art Sales and Rentals Gallery, Hollis Street, Halifax, NS.
• Colour and Rhythm (Solo). Landscape and floral oil paintings. Lunenburg Art Gallery, Lunenburg, NS.
• The Canadian Institute of Portrait Artists Annual Open Exhibition (Juried show). Red Deer and District Museum and Archives Gallery, Red Deer, Alberta.
• Featured artist for the month of September (Solo). Art Pieces Gallery, Bedford, NS.
• Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition (Juried show).
• Blaze (Solo). Landscape paintings celebrating Canadian fall. Craig Gallery, Dartmouth, NS.
(17/21 paintings sold).
• The Canadian Institute of Portrait Artists Annual Open Exhibition (Juried show). Master's Gallery Ltd, Calgary, Alberta.
• Ecce Homo (Final BFA show. Solo, Portraits). Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax, NS.
• Nature and Nurture (Solo). Corridor Gallery, VANS, Halifax, NS.
• Gone Fishing. Landscape paintings. Red Door Art Gallery, Fall River, NS.
• Oil Paintings of Nova Scotia (Solo). Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax, NS.
• The Other Side. Dartmouth Heritage Museum, NS.
• By the water. Cultural Federations of Nova Scotia, Halifax, NS.
• Requiem for Sydney Steel (Solo) Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax, NS.
• Streetscapes (Juried show) Art Sales and Rental Society, Halifax, NS.