Highland Park, IL, United States
About Nina Weiss
Nina is a nationally recognized landscape painter. Her works have been in films; TV; and reproduced for hotels and hospitals. She travels extensively to capture material for her landscapes. She exhibits widely and is represented in galleries across the U.S. Her landscape paintings draw the viewer into a heightened vision of color and gesture, de-picting the natural world with colors that are intense, lush, and dramatic. The colors go beyond traditional ideas of a green landscape. ninaweiss.com artendeavors.org
Art Student's League, NY; Rhode Island School of Design, RI, Tyler School of Art, PA, University of Wisconsin, Madison WI
2015 • Instructional video “Painting with Water-based Media” for on-line educational website; Craftsy. Denver; CO.
2014 • “Art in the Open”. Juried three-day on-site artist creation on the Schulykill River. Philadelphia; PA.
• Original landscape paintings licensed by Met Colors publishing company. Oklahoma City; OK.
2013; 2016 • “Chicago Fire” Television series. Paintings and prints acquisitioned for interior shots.
2012 • “Art in Hand” National playing card deck; Illinois, 5 of Hearts.
• “Nina Weiss Presents Wednesday Night Painter of the North Shore Art League”. Curated show of student work.
•Invitational Member of the Prismacolor Advisory Council.
2011 • “Art Expert” Chicago Creative Art Expo, Chicago Artist Resource. Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago IL.
2010 • Product Brochure for Prismacolor Watercolor Pencil tins produced including seven original drawings.
2009 • Prismacolor Pencils: Colored pencil fine-art landscape demonstration video for website and Youtube.
2008 • “Nina Weiss: An Artists Spiritual Journey”. Lecture and slide presentation, Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago.
• Highland Park Film Festival lecture “Art in Films” in conjunction with Port Clinton Art Festival.
2007 • “Cool Globes:Cool Solutions for a Warm Planet”. 5” fiberglass globe, “Tall Grass” Field Museum Plaza, Chicago.
2006 • Chefs for Humanity charity event “Art of Food” Collaboration with Grant Macperson, Executive Chef, Wynn Resorts.
2005 • “Kohl Children’s Museum Planes on Parade”. 5’ fiberglass airplane designed and painted for benefit at auction.
2004 • WBBM Newsradio 780. Interview on “Made in Chicago” show.
• “Ice Harvest”, Feature film directed by Harold Ramis. Twelve landscape paintings featured in movie set. Waukegan, IL.
2002 - 2003 • “Todi Expo at Studio 1123” Show of student work for Italian Landscape Workshop. Curator.
2002 • “Artist to Artist” with Enid Silverman. Cable TV show; demonstration and interview
2001 • Guest Lecturer at the Midland Center for the Arts in conjunction with invitational show and workshop. Midland, MI.
1999 - 2004 • Art in Embassies Program, Washington, DC. Drawings on loan to U.S. Government Ambassado to Nairobi. Nairobi, Kenya. Drawings on loan to the U.S. Government Ambassador’s residence in Barhaim, Saudi Arabia.
1999 • SXU Gallery, St. Xavier University. Guest Lecturer in conjunction with one-person show. Chicago, IL.
• "Just Visiting”, feature film directed by John Hughes. Drawings included in stage design for movie set. Chicago, IL.
• National Enterprise of Women & Hospitality; Guest Lecturer on Printmaking & Works on Paper. Chicago, IL
1998 - 1999 • Marco Fine Arts Limited Edition serigraphs from original pastel drawings. El Segundo, CA.
• The Art Institute of Chicago. Three-day pastel portrait demonstration in conjunction with Mary Cassatt Exhibition.
• Parkland College Art Gallery, visiting artist lecture for invitational show. Parkland College, Champaign, IL.
• South Suburban Community College, Gouache landscape painting demonstration. South Holland, IL.
1997, 2007 • "Focus on the Arts", Highland Park High School. Visiting Artist. Highland Park, IL.
1995 - 1998 • City of Chicago Dept. of Cultural Affairs, Cultural Grants. Community Arts Assistance Program. Panelist.
• Cable Television Home & Garden Channel "Homes Across America". Artist Loft Segment for cable TV.
1993 - 1994 • Full Court Press. Seven Limited Edition Lithographs. Hand inked and pulled.
1994 • Merrill Chase Galleries. Poster produced for the Grand Geneva Resort & Spa. Buffalo Grove, IL.
1993 • Artist in Residence. Ox-Bow, Division of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Saugatuck, MI.
1992 • Visiting Artist. Gallery 37 Outreach Program at the Neighborhood Institute. Chicago, IL.
• Merrill Chase Galleries. Poster from original drawing produced for Hyatt Hotels. Buffalo Grove, IL.
1990 • AES Gallery. Limited Edition Offset Lithograph from original drawing.
1985 • WKOW TV. Courtro
ONE & TWO PERSON EXHIBITIONS
2016 • “Prairies & Waterways” Great River Road Museum of Contemporary Art. Potosi, WI.
2015 • “Nina Weiss: Prairies Views” Union League Club. Chicago; IL.
2014 • “Hidden & Protected” Solo show. Brushwood Center; Ryerson Woods. Riverwoods; IL.
• Adlai E. Stevenson High School Rotunda Gallery. Solo show & visiting artist lecture. Lincolnshire; IL.
2013 • “Emotions of Color” Nina Weiss & Elisa Boughner. The Art Center, Highland Park, IL.
• “Landscape Transitions” Illinois Artisan Gallery; State of Illinois Building. Chicago, IL.
• “Nuances of Landscape” Nina Weiss & Mary Porterfield. Koehnline Art Museum, Oakton College.
Des Plaines, IL.
2012 • “Location Impulsion” Nina Weiss, Bonnie Peterson & Michael X. Ryan. Christopher Art Gallery,
Prairie State College.
2011 • “Under Pink Skies”. Solo show; Mavi Contemporary Art. Tacoma, WA.
2010 • “Nina Weiss Landscapes: Not Far Off”. Solo show, Union Street Gallery, Chicago.
2009 • “Acadia and Beyond”, new paintings. Spurling Gallery of Contemporary Art & Craft. Corea, ME.
2008, 2010 • One-person Show, new paintings. Constance Petter Gallery, Saugatuck, MI.
2007 • One-person Show; new paintings. The Gallery @ Notice, Highland Park, IL.
• “Landscapes from Acadia National Park”. Chapter Two Gallery, Corea, ME.
• “Nina Weiss & Yelena Klairmont: Landscapes”. Richard T Wright Gallery, College of Lake County. Grayslake, IL.
2003 -2005 • “Winter Break” & “New Works” solo shows Joyce Petter Gallery, Saugatuck, MI.
2002 • “In the Sun’s Light”, four person show , Anne Loucks Gallery. Glencoe, IL.
2001 • “Nina Weiss: Pastels & Gouaches” One Person Show. Joyce Petter Gallery, Saugatuck, MI.
• “The Ideal Landscape” Nina Weiss & Didiet Nolet. Crown Center Gallery, Loyola University, Chicago, IL.
2000 • "Landscape" , Weiss, Ryan, Macpherson. Mary Bell Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1993, 2000 • "Nina Weiss: Pastel and Gouache Landscapes, Chicago Botanic Garden. Glencoe, IL.
1999 • "Collected Travels: Pastel and Gouaches 1996-1999", SXU Gallery. One person show, St. Xavier University. Chicago, IL.
• "Interpreting Landscape", Chicago Art Source. Three -person show. Chicago, IL.
1998 • "Pastel Landscapes", Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL.
• "Recollected Landscapes", Dorothea Theil Gallery. South Suburban College. Gouache Paintings. South Holland, IL.
• "Nina Weiss & Lisa Vanderhill", Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
1997 • "Everybodys' Show", Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
1996 • "Pastel Landscapes", Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL. Pastel Drawings and Gouache Paintings.
• "Pastels and Gouaches", Union League Club. One person show. Chicago, IL.
1995 • "Gallery Stroll", Pastel Landscapes, Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
1994 • "Shadow & Light: the Pastel Landscape", Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL.
• "Works on Paper", Charles Hespe Gallery. San Francisco, CA.
1992 • “The Pastel Landscape”, Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL.
1990 • “Recent Pastels”, Dorothea Theil Gallery. South Suburban Community College. One-person show. South Holland, IL.
2016 • “Landscape/Vision/Interpretation”. State Street Gallery; Robert Morris College. Chicago; IL.
• “Nostaglia”. Groshek Art Gallery. Chicago; IL.
• “The Landscapes of Life” The Art Center. Highland Park; IL.
• “Connections: Artists Inviting Artists”. Atlantic Gallery, New York, NY.
• “ARTscapes: Land/Water/City”. J. Petter Galleries. Saugatuck, MI.
• “Faculty Show” Evanston Art Center. Evanston; IL.
2015 • “Art & Flowers: Color; Form & Harmony” Ellington-White Contemporary Art Gallery. Fayetteville; NC.
• “Microcosmos” Gallery 621. Benicia, CA.
• “Illinois Artisans 30th Anniversary Show” Robert Morris University State Street Art Gallery