Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
About Boryana Korcheva
My work draws on a tradition of expressive figurative painting starting from Michelangelo, to Caravaggio, Gericault and Lucien Freud. I am seeking to create images which are visceral, imposing, even aggressive – not an invitation to quiet contemplation, but abduction to a place where the only option is to face reality, the point in space and time, where we cannot look the other way, as there is no other way to look.
I received my academic art training in the atelier of Kiril Stanchev, a prominent Bulgarian artist and pedagogue and was later introduced to modern art and aesthetics by artist Peter Popov. In 2007 I resumed my art training privately with Tinko Trifonov.
I hold a degree in Arabic Studies from Sofia University, Bulgaria.
Lectures and art talks
8 March 2014 – Why Philosophers Should Take Drawing Lessons – CVAP Miami
April 2013 – Between Animate and Inanimate – Freeport, Grand Bahama
April 2014 – Crow – collaborative book art project with Jill Slaymaker and Robin Martin, The Centre for Book Art, New York
2013-14 - “I” – Online Collaborative project - http://curiouscollaboration.wordpress.com/, http://curiouscollaboration.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/ingrid-welch-artist-boryana-korcheva-maker/
• July 2014 – Eye Candy, Jadite Gallery, New York
• April 2014 – Oblique Perspectives, Group show, CVAP Miami
• March 2014, Interrogations, group show, Curator’s Voice Art Projects, Miami
• April 2013 - 26.6 N-78.7 W - with Susan Moir Mackay and Del Foxton, Freeport, Grand Bahama
• February 2014 - Grand Bahama Artists Association Spring show
• April 2013 New York Art Expo – 2013
• April 2012 Two Tales One City – with Christine Matthai during Dubai Art
• May 2011 - Whoosh! – solo exhibition in Fujairah, UAE