Ian worked as a graphic artist, campaign designer and illustrator with over 35 years of experience in a variety of commercial and non-commercial studios. The accolades include being an Assistant Art Director, Creative Director, Fashion illustrator, editorial illustrator, political cartoonist, campaign director and general artist learning the twists and turns of an industry traveling through major changes from drafting board to computers.
“The greatest gift God gave to man is not sight; it is a creative vision. The eyes function is sight. The spirits function is a creative vision. Natural eyes see the world. Spiritual eyes, (the heart of man) creates a vision for living. Embedded within every spirit is a hunger to discover something true to idolize and what we idolize will either destroy us or create a life worth living.”
~ Ian Anderson
Donnybrook Junior High School, West Australia (1952-1960)
Hale Private School, Perth West Australia (1961-1964)
Claremont Fine Art College, West Australia (1972)
Self Taught (1972 >)
• In 2018 I launched my fashion art label "Feast" and changed the name to "LaFesta" in 2019
• In 2016 I started full time as a professional artist and after 4 years of false starts and moments of angst, I opened a small art gallery/studio of my own work.
• From 2012 after a major cathartic experience I started the journey to become a full-time fine artist, craftsman, illustrator, and photographer. The subsequent years I spent on photography, graphic design and some painting, carving and setting up a brand ID for the legacy of Ian Anderson Fine Art (IAFA). My full-time goal, painting, poetry, photography, illustration, leather art, book publishing, giftwares, fashions, reproduction prints, and tutoring.
• Multi award-winning wedding and portrait photography and oil painting in recognition for excellence in Australia, New Zealand and The USA.
• Political and editorial cartoonist illustrator for The Christchurch Press, Wellington Evening Post and The Dominion.
• I have worked as a graphic artist illustrator with over 30 years of experience in a variety of commercial and non-commercial studios, including being an Assistant Art Director, Creative Director, fashion illustrator, editorial illustrator, political cartoonist, campaign director and a general artist learning many of the twists and turns in the industry.
• Conversant with creative technologies (Mac, Adobe, Microsoft, WordPress).
• Familiar with current trends in management thinking and still learning because it always seems to be changing.
• Highly developed graphic, fine art, photography, leathercraft carving, illustration and digital art skills.
• Moderately successful multi-award-winning wedding and portrait photographer.
• Managing Director of Legal Graffiti Design Ltd and Hot Shots Creative Photography in Warkworth New Zealand.
• Commercial and real estate photographer.
• Past president of Business Networking International (BNI) Orewa and Warkworth, New Zealand.
• Past Committee member of Warkworth Squash.
• Past Committee member of Warkworth Business Association.
• Solo, invite, joint and retrospective exhibitions of paintings with works hanging in private, business and government collections worldwide.
• Successful advertising campaigns, art direction and project management.
• Tutored in creative illustration, portraiture, painting, photography, cartooning and leatherwork in Christchurch and Auckland New Zealand.
• Leather craftsman and studio commercial artist in Christchurch, New Zealand after I had a conviction of conscience and went back to Perth and fronted up to my past.
• 4 years in the drug scene as a hippy in the early 70’s and moved to New Zealand in 1974 on the run with a police record.
• Artist craftsman working primarily in leather and the folk art counter culture of the early ’70s.
• Commercial advertising artist and neon designer in Perth, West Australia.
• Junior clerk, postman and storeman in Perth, West Australia.
• Awards • Exhibitions • Murals
• 2021 GREAT SUMMER HOLIDAY ART EXHIBITION (Snells Beach – NZ) 4 multimedia works
• 2020 KUMEU ART AWARDS (Kumeu, Auckland – NZ) 1 oil painting
• 2020 FLORALS AND FLUTTERS COMBINED ART EXHIBITION (Tauranga – NZ) 16 works
• 2020 INTERNATIONAL BLACK AND WHITE SPIDER AWARDS (USA) Nominee (Portrait)
• 2020 ARTIVITA INTERNATIONAL ART COMPETITION (USA – Runner up) Oil Painting
• 2019 GREAT SUMMER HOLIDAY ART EXHIBITION – 1st place professional (Auckland, New Zealand).
• 2018 RODNEY ART AWARDS – 3rd place. (Auckland, New Zealand)
• 2015 PUHOI VILLAGE COMBINED EXHIBITION – Auckland New Zealand
• 2014 ARTIVITA INTERNATIONAL ART COMPETITION (USA – Certificate of Excellence) (Leatherwork)
• 2014 WORLDWIDE ART LA – (Juried invite Fine Art Show, Los Angeles, USA)
• 2014 HOSPICE CHARITY FUNDRAISER (Hospice Charity auction) Auckland New Zealand
• 2013 MATAKANA COMMUNITY WALK BRIDGE FUNDRAISER (New Zealand)
• 2012 ARTIVITA INTERNATIONAL ART COMPETITION (USA – Honorable mention)
• 2012 OH 4 EYES 2 C (Multiple invited artists exhibition with Graham Braddock, Auckland, New Zealand)
• 2011 ARTIVITA INTERNATIONAL ART COMPETITION (USA – Honorable mention)
• 2010 NZIPP IRIS PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Queenstown) NZ) 4 BRONZE AWARDS
• 2010 INTERNATIONAL PHOTO COLOUR AWARDS (USA) 2 NOMINEES
• 2009 INTERNATIONAL BLACK AND WHITE SPIDER AWARDS (USA) 1 NOMINEE
• 2009 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 2 GOLD AWARDS
• 2008 NZIPP IRIS PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Tauranga NZ) 2 BRONZE AWARDS
• 2007 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 3 SILVER AWARDS
• 2006 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 1 SILVER AWARD
• 2004 THE EXPERIMENTAL YEARS ART EXHIBITION ASCENSION WINE ESTATE, MATAKANA COAST, NEW ZEALAND
• 2003 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 1 SILVER AWARD
• 2002 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 1 GOLD & 1 SILVER AWARD
• 2001 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 2 SILVER AWARDS
• 1998 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 2 SILVER AWARDS
• 1997 NORTHLAND PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Whangarei NZ) HIGHLY COMMENDED
• 1996 MOLLY MORPETH CANADAY ART AWARDS (Whakatane NZ) POPULAR CHOICE AWARD
• 1995 ANNUAL SUMMER ART EXHIBITION (DTH Auckland NZ)
• 1995 MOLLY MORPETH CANADAY ART AWARDS (Whakatane NZ) POPULAR CHOICE AWARD
• 1995 MAIRANGI ARTS CENTRE MEMBER AWARDS (Auckland NZ) HIGHLY COMMENDED
• 1995 BIRKENHEAD LICENSING TRUST ART AWARDS (Auckland NZ) TONY GILMOUR MEMORIAL AWARD
• 1995 GREAT SUMMER HOLIDAY ART EXHIBITION (Snells Beach – NZ) MERIT AWARD
• 1995 THE ART BARN (Auckland NZ) Representational, conceptual in wood & canvas.
• 1994 MEN’S WORKS ART EXHIBITION (Warkworth Craft Gallery NZ)
• 1994 A WINDOW ON THE MAHURANGI MURAL (Warkworth NZ)
• 1994 A WINDOW ON YESTERDAY MURAL (Warkworth NZ)
• 1994 A SUMMER HOLIDAY MURAL (Warkworth NZ)
• 1993 SMALL WORKS ART EXHIBITION (Warkworth Society of Arts NZ)
• 1992 ANNUAL SUMMER ART EXHIBITION (DTH Auckland NZ)
• 1991 KAITIA SEA SHANTY MURAL (Kaitaia NZ)
• 1991 THE BARGAIN HUNTERS FANTASY MURAL (Warkworth NZ)
• 1990 BEST ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD (ARPA Melbourne). In recognition for excellence in journalism portraiture.
• 1989 ROTARY INTERNATIONAL INVITE ART EXHIBITION (Hamilton NZ)
• 1989 ANNUAL SUMMER ART EXHIBITION (DTH Auckland NZ)
• 1988-89 ARTIST-TUTOR IN RESIDENCE National School of Creative Ministries, Auckland, New Zealand.
• 1987 ANNUAL WINTER ART EXHIBITION (Downtown Hilton Art Gallery, Auckland NZ)
• 1987 SOLO ART EXHIBITION (Orewa Gallery Auckland, NZ)
• 1985 YMCA REGIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Christchurch New Zealand.)
• 1978 INSTALLATION ART COMMISSION 5 PIECE CHANDELIER DISPLAY LIGHTING. LEATHER AND BRASS (Christchurch, New Zealand)
• 1972 COMMISSION, ROYAL AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY DISTRICT DISPLAY AWARDS (Perth, Western Australia) 1st • Content, 2nd • Design
• 1964 SENIOR ART PRIZE (Hale School, Perth, Western Australia)
• 1952-53 Mrs DEAKEN Grade 1 Teacher (She loved a drawing I did. I was a winner in her eyes) Donnybrook, West Australia