Exploring the world around me in relation to my own inner world in an introspective and autoreferential way I am trying to connect motifs of the real and surreal, of the actual, imaginary and subconscious in the narrative scenes, leaving enough space to observers for their individual interpretation.
I reflect while I paint. Preparation for paintings are sketches that emerge inside my head around the clock. When I get hold of my tools I work spontaneously and fast, very often on more works simultaneously. Amongst my works there are those that are obvious and easily comprehensible and yet there are those that are less easily decipherable, there are symbols and elements from the real world that surrounds us, which together make a collage of emotions, states and words. Collage as an art technique is an integral part of my work, as well as drawing, which comes at the beginning and at the end of everything I do.
Colour and drawing supercede and complement each other in the working process while the paint roller with white tempera partially annuls them, creating transparency or dimness. Vanishing turning into new creation. A painting is created in layers, using trial, error and success to achieve the desired final effect. Taking off and then adding new layers of colour and drawing, a worn-out surface is obtained which is contrasted by bright details. As in life, in which the most unusual combinations of emotions and sensations coexist simultaneously, my works also contain various mutually opposing elements so it seems that my work is a continual process of transferring impulses obtained from life into my work. Everyday experiences and information are turned into another state of matter. All that is mixed and something new emerges in the form of a painting, sometimes unclear and ambivalent and often unexplained because I move on, in my work as well as in life, undividedly and a bit too fast.
Work and life processes are equalized.
Private and individual is put above general and collective. I believe that the best way to get through to the observer and to my own self is through a personal prism, which is essential for my overall development as an individual as well as an artist.
Female characters have been present in my work since the very beginning and at first glance they are the main figures. At the second, more penetrating glance, they are just the means in my work – they create the atmosphere, pass on information and stimuli from the outer world onto a canvas. They are the projection of my wishes, fears and temptations. In titles of my works or cycles of paintings I use play on words, ambiguous messages. Sometimes I use text, spontaneous thoughts, which complement or annul the pictorial form.
Wishing to explore the unexplored I am building up my own personal and artistic identity. I am trying to find new ways for my artistic research through work. I make use of breaks in my work which occur between particular cycles of paintings, I reexamine the existing-created work as well as my own potentials, aspirations and abilities. Just as I constantly develop, my works change as well – the works which are inevitably connected by the same head and the same hand and also similar aspirations and artistic striving.
● 2010: Academy of Fine Arts (PhD), Zagreb, Croatia
● 2002-2008: Academy of Fine Arts (MA), Zagreb, Croatia, Department of Art education and Art history//course: Painting
● 2006-2007: Pro-anima school, Zagreb // Graphic design
● 2001-2002: Philosophical faculty of arts, Zadar, Art history and Italiano language
● 1997-2001: School of Applied Arts and Design, Zagreb, Graphic design, print and drawing department
multimedia project IZMEĐU NAS (BETWEEN US)
Art radionica Lazareti, Dubrovnik
The authors include in their multimedia art expression under the title “Between Us” some forms of visual art, dance, sound, writing and throw into question their own mother-artist positions. They are balancing on the permeate border of desired and created, considering the implications of dispersing but not putting a full stop, they speak of (not) privileged position of women-artists focused on the concept of motherhood, accepting their position and priorities with a certain detachment provided by art as a screen.
IVANA ĐULA - LENA KRAMARIĆ - MARTINA TOMIĆ
" NA POČETKU ZA KRAJ"
(At the beginning for the end)
22/12/2016 – 15/01/2017
EXHIBITION OF PAINTINGS
" THE WORKS"
25/07 – 07/08/2016
The Society of Friends of Dubrovnik Antiques
Široka 2, Old City Dubrovnik
Adriatic Luxury Hotels, LUNA + SOL Gallery and Lena Kramarić cordially invite you to the exhibition:
Hotel Dubrovnik Palace, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Every day: 09.00-12.00 and 18.00-21.00 hours
Exhibition is open till June 10th
please see more about exhibition opening on: http://lenakramaric.tumblr.com/
Lena Kramarić * Solo exhibition
'New structures and other conditions'
22.12.2015. - 25.01.2016.
Monastery S. Klara (Visia Hall) Dubrovnik, Croatia
SEE MORE ABOUT IT:
YOU CAN SEE MY WORK ON :
ANNUAL EXHIBITION CROATIAN ASSOCIATION OF ARTISTS / GALLERY PRSTEN - HDLU - ZAGREB / 23.07. – 23.08. 2015.
MY PAINTINGS ARE EXHIBITED ON :
DESIGN IN CROATIA EXPO + SHOP_ LUŽA DUBROVNIK
03/07 - 25/09/2015
Solo Exhibition iz Gallery Luža, Dubrovnik CROATIA / “Strategies of survival and other combined techniques” / 31/5 – 26/6/2015
‘Through the looking glass’ by Lena Kramarić
Exhibition opening : Sunday 23.11.2014 / 16:00 h
Exhibition is the opening of the Art week in the exclusive Prijeko Palace. Visitors will have the unique opportunity to explore the work of Prijeko Palace artists and enjoy in the special combination of art and our exclusive cuisine. During the art week our chef is serving you meals inspired by the work of Lena Kramaric.
SEE HOW IT WAS :
- Shop for artwork by Lena Kramaric on iPhone cases, fine art prints, stretched canvases, laptop skins, greeting cards and much more. TAKE A LOOK:
- 18/19/20-09-2014 : THE IRRESPONSIBLES
Showcasing work in progress
Zagreb Dance Centre
A continuation of “Luxury” , a project by Martina Tomić and Lena Kramarić , originally performed in 2013 in Dubrovnik. This year the project continues through Zagreb Dance Centre’s residential platform, including two more artists: Hrvoslava Brkušić and Ivana Pipal. Four authors ask many questions, raising awareness of their everyday movements.
Merging different media and skills through sound, image, motion and feeling, a surprising performance emerges between insecurity and security. The methodology of work is made up of situations encountered by the authors, in the search for similarities and differences, merging their interestes into a single piece, as a medium of expression.
selected solo exhibitions / projects
- Outdoor walls, AU Viennau, Vienna, Austria
- Outdoor walls, Gallery Steiner, Vienna, Austria
- Ateljerija – Open studio, Gallery Sebastian, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- multimedia project Between us (Između nas), Art radionica Lazareti, Dubrovnik, Croatia (with Martina Tomić and Ivana Đula)
- At the beginning for the end (Na početku za kraj), Hrvatska matica iseljenika Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- The Works (Radovi), Exhibition space : The Society of Friends of Dubrovnik Antiques, Old city Dubrovnik, Croatia
– Almost perfect * Lena Kramarić (Skoro savršena * Lena Kramarić), Art Gallery Luna+Sol, Dubrovnik, Croatia
– New structures and other conditions (Nove strukture i druga stanja), Monastery S. Klara (Visia Hall), Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Strategies of survival and other combined techniques (Strategije preživljavanja i druge kombinirane tehnike na platnu), Gallery Luža, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Though the looking glass, Art week at Prijeko Palace, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- The Irresponsibles (Neodgovome) – Presentation of a work in progress , ZPC _ Zagreb Dance Centre, Croatia (with M. Tomić, I. Pipal and H. Brkušić)
- What I have been doing this year (Što sam radila ove godine), Gallery Flora, Dubrovnik (with A. Obradović)
- Every good painting has a good name (Svaka dobra slika ima dobar naziv), Studio Shalabajza, Dubrovnik, Croatia
– multimedia project LUXURY (Luksuz) // Academia Moderna, Zagreb & Art radionica Lazareti, Dubrovnik (with M. Tomić)
- HDLU, Zagreb, Croatia (ArtJam)
- Yellow gray pink - a look from the inside (Žuto sivo rozo – pogled iznutra), Gallery Sebastian, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Leupold Gallery – Rothenbach a.d. Pegnitz, Deutschland
- Amstel Gallery, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- AcquestArte, International contemporary art, Ascona, Switzerland
- video work Closer, Art radionica Lazareti, Dubrovnik, Croatia (with Željka Blakšić)
– All that what I have (Sve što imam), Gallery Ulrich, Zagreb, Croatia
- SpaceTHREE, Gallery Izidor Kršnjavi, Zagreb, Croatia (with D. Mamlić and A. Malekin)
- Place-Space3, Salon Galić, Split, Croatia (with D. Mamlić and A. Malekin)
- Place-Space3, Gallery Prica, Samobor, Croatia (with D. Mamlić and A. Malekin)
- Gallery Razvid, Zaprešić, Croatia (with D. Mamlić and A. Malekin)
- Place/Space - Time - Experience - Art work, Gallery Cekao, Zagreb, Croatia (with D. Mamlić and A. Malekin)
- Best art work (Izložba najboljeg diplomskog rada), Gallery Banfi, Zagreb, Croatia
- Gallery Mala, Novigrad, Croatia
- Alice in Wonderland, Prostor, Zagreb, Croatia
selected group exhibitions / projects
- Ega Frauen*Kunst Art Award 2017, EGA, Vienna, Austria
- InDizajn festival modernog doma, Arena Zagreb, Croatia
- 4. hrvatski međunarodni triennale autoportreta 'Pojam o sebi', Gallery Prica, POU Samobor, Croatia
- Dubrovnik moment in the fine arts 3, Museum of modern art, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Poklon s pričom, Museum od arts and crafts, Zagreb, Croatia
- Annual exhibition Croatian association of artists / Gallery Prsten - HDLU – Zagreb, Croatia
– Group exhibition Croatian association of artists * HDLU Dubrovnik / Gallery Otok - Art radionica Lazareti, Dubrovnik, Croatia
– Seven (new generation of young artists of Dubrovnik) / Studio for contemporary art Flight 777, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Annual exhibition Croatian association of artists / Gallery Prsten - HDLU – Zagreb, Croatia
- Design in Croatia expo, Luža, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- AAF (Affordable Art Fair), Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Boiling point, Festival of contemporary painting, Zagreb, Croatia
- AAF (Affordable Art Fair), Milano, Italy
- Acquest Arte, International contemporary art, Ascona, Switzerland * Gallery opening: with Alex&Felix (CH), B. van Dorpe (B) i C. Faassen (NL)
- performance: How to value work of Art, 45th Zagreb salon, HDLU, Zagreb, Croatia
- The 11 visions project, Gallery O.K, Rijeka, Croatia
- 3years 30artists, Prostor, Zagreb, Croatia
- Interzone/City, video work Closer, Gallery Galženica