Inspiration comes from fleeting moments, glimpses of objects hidden in plain sight: an experience, a randomly generated narrative, a shattered piece of wood, the angle of a building, the shape of a wave. The world bombards my senses with more inspiration than I can ever hope to express.
Returning to my art after two decades, I have learned the strength of variety and versatility, whilst retaining craft. How something is created – its process and its craft – is as vital to the finished piece as its motivation and subject.
Drawing remains my primary focus. Its apparent limitations offer a purity and intimacy that brings artist and viewer closer in a way a painting rarely can.
My abstract paintings are an extension of my drawing, incorporating many of the base techniques of mark-making, form, and tone, but with a more expressive and open focus.
Continuing themes include solitude, isolation, and exclusion, particularly within - or reflecting the escape from - restless, bustling, cacophonous environments.
May 2015: selected as an associate member of the Society for Graphic Fine Arts (SGFA).
- Group exhibition, Pie Factory, Margate, Kent 22-28 November 2018
- Open Studios, Pie Factory Studios, Margate, Kent Nov 2018
- DRAW 18 (group) - Menier Gallery, London, October 2018 - received the Drawing Award for "Reflections of White Cliffs"
- Solo exhibition "Boundaries" - York St Gallery, Ramsgate, Kent 2-9 May 2018
- FRESH - group exhibition, New Kent Gallery, Broadstairs, Kent 22 Jan - 3 Feb 2018
- Manifest INDA 12 (2018), International Drawing Annual
- SGFA Bankside (group) October 2017
- Solo exhibition - York St Gallery, Ramsgate, Kent 19-26 July 2017
- Black on White (group) - Boscastle, Cornwall, June
- DRAW 16 (group) - Menier Gallery, London, October 2016 - Received the Presidents Award for "A Fearing"
- Relocated from Cornwall to Ramsgate, Kent, July
Elected as Associate Member to the Society of Graphic Fine Art (SGFA)