Sumi Perera RE
Redhill, Surrey, United Kingdom
About Sumi Perera RE
Lecturer, MA Printmaking, Middlesex University, London 2016 Artist-in-Residence National Open Art Competition 2016 http://www.nationalopenart.org/artists-in-residence.php Overall Best in Show Prize at DRAW 16 [Strathmore Fine Artist Paper Bursary for one year] Guest Artist Full Fellowship 6 week Residency Award & Solo Show-VENICE: http://www.scuolagrafica.it/art/venice-artists-residencies/royal-society-of-painter-printmakers-at-scuola-internazionale-di-grafica/ PUBLIC COLLECTIONS "¢ Tate Britain [8 works] "¢ Victoria & Albert Museum [10 works] "¢ Ashmolean Museum, Oxford "¢ Yale Centre for British Art, USA [2 works] "¢ Sakima Art Museum, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan "¢ British Library, London, UK "¢ Guanlan Museum, China "¢ Grafisk vaerksted-Naestved, Denmark "¢ Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Permanent Art Collection. Alexandria, Egypt "¢ Southern Cross University Artist Book Collection, NSW, Australia "¢ CFPR (Centre for Fine Print Reserach) Collection,University of West England, Bristol. UK "¢ Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, Kansas, USA "¢ Centre for Artist Books, Visual Research Centre, DCA, Dundee "¢ ULUS Print Triennial Collection, Belgrade, Serbia "¢ PrintROOM - Rotterdam "¢ Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery "¢ Camberwell College of Arts, University of the Arts, London "¢ DFWEA Collection, Satu Mare, Romania "¢ Manchester Metropolitan University Special Collection "¢ Bank Street Arts, Sheffield, UK "¢ Scarborough Print Archive, UK "¢ Iraq National Library, Baghdad "¢ Taiwan Museum of Fine Art, R.O.C. "¢ Scarborough Print Archive "¢ Leeds College of Art Library Collection "¢ Lafayette College Library, Artist Book Collection USA PRIZES/AWARDS [see below] Born in Sri Lanka Resides in the United Kingdom Member of the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers [RE] Sumi Perera's work oscillates between the vertical and horizontal plane, liberating wall hung artwork to a publicly accessible space to be handled and touched. Usually her work is available as a democratic multiple, often in the form of an artist book. By giving the viewer the opportunity to engage physically with the work, she transfers artistic license by inviting them to bring their own perceptions and experiences to the pieces. In some instances the artwork is altered by the viewer and allows the final authorship or editorial control of the piece to be shared.Perera's work invariably exploits her background as a doctor, scientist and artist, working in the East (Sri Lanka, her native country), and the West (the United Kingdom, her adoptive country). Mixed media assemblage techniques combining traditional forms of printmaking are digitally manipulated to transform unique artwork into democratic multiples. Slight variations on the theme are used to generate 'unique multiples', whilst blurring boundaries between the artist/artisan, orient/occident and the past and present. Often several narratives unfold within the hidden spaces of the book as a detachable spine allows the book to be undressed. Perera exhibits her work in solo and group shows and is a member of the -The Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers [RE] (http://www.banksidegallery.com/) -Society of Designer Craftsmen [FSDC] -Society of Graphic Fine Art [SGFA] -62 Group (http://www.62group.org.uk/) -Printmakers Council (PMC) -East London Printmakers(www.eastlondonprintmakers.co.uk/perera/1.htm) -LOOP http://www.arts.ac.uk/alumni/27217.htm http://www.loopartists.co.uk/Sumi_Perera.htm -Six of One (http://www.six-of-one.co.uk/sp.htm
• The Prix de Print Award, Art in Print, USA July 2015 [Awarded by K Alcauskas, MoMA New York]
published article: http://artinprint.org/prix/no-13-rebuilding-the-unbuilt-y-block-by-sumi-perera
• St Cuthberts' Mill Prize-RBSA Open Print Prize 2016
• Artist in Residence-National Open Art Competition 2016
• Overall Best in Show Prize-DRAW 16. [Strathmore Fine Artist Paper Bursary for one year]
• Guest Artist Full Fellowship & 6 week Residency at the Scuola Internazionale di Grafica, Venice 2016 & 2017 : http://www.scuolagrafica.it/art/venice-artists-residencies/royal-society-of-painter-printmakers-at-scuola-internazionale-di-grafica/
• The Laurence King Publishers Prize. The East London Printmakers Annual Exhibition. London September 2015
• Flourish Award-Winner. Solo show at the Huddersfield Art Gallery (off-site venue for the ICA, London) and a residency at the West Yorkshire Print Workshop in 2016
• Incline Press-Dave Godin Memorial Award. The Society of Bookbinders International Conference & Competition. August 2015
• The Arqadia & Intaglio Print Award at DRAW 14. Menier Gallery, London 2014
• The St. Cuthbert’s Mill Award at DRAW 12. Menier Gallery, London 2012
• The Intaglio Prize-Printathon-14th ELP Annual Exhibition. Smokehouse, London 2012
• 1st Prize-Drawing for Design. Rootstein Hopkins Foundation Drawing Exhibition. London 2011
• Distinction-European International Book Art Biennale 2010, Art Museum Satu-Mare, Romania 2010
• Best Overall Book Design Prize (NPB) & the Aidan Portnall Award (1st Prize-Complete Book) - Society of Bookbinders International Competition & Conference, Warwick University. Aug 2009
• Southern Cross University Acquisitive Artist Book Award. NSW, Australia August 2009
• Melville Charitable Trust Award (1st prize) at SHELTER, a juried artist book exhibition touring the USA. 2008-2009
• Birgit Skiold Award for excellence in Book Arts, London Artist Bookfair (LAB) ‘05, Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) London. 2005
• Gold Medal & Grand Prize-1st International Book Arts Competition, Seoul, South Korea. 2005
• Kaleidoscope Hoffmann Challenge Prize, National Quilt Championships, Ascot. 2001
•Sumi Perera-Liminal Spaces, Bath Contemporary Arts. Bath 15-27th Feb 2016
•Sumi Perera-Printmakers Council, UK
•Global Matrix IV-touring USA 2017-19
•Celebration of Shakespeare-RE & RWS. USA '17
•Solo Show-Scuola Internazionale di Grafica, Venice '17
•Featured Artist-Bath Contemporary Art '17
•IXth Engraving Exhibition. Santa Maria Della Pieta. Cremona Italy 2017
•London Original Print Fair. Royal Academy, Piccadilly, London 2009-17
•The Baltic Artist Book Fair. The Baltic Newcastle. May'17
•BUILT. 23 Sandy Gallery, Portland USA April-May
•Contemporary Watercolour Competition. Bankside Gallery
•Lasting Impressions. Scarborough Museum March-June
•Art of the Print. Highpoint Centre USA
•Masters-Etching. Bankside Gallery 2016
•RBSAPrint Prize 2016. Birmingham, UK
•Black Swan Arts Open UK
•Artist in Residence-National Open Art Competition. London
•Neo:Print Prize. Bolton, UK
•World Building Sites UN. Minden, Germany. 2016 [5 yrs]
•National Original Print Exhibition. Bankside Gallery.
•Liminal Spaces. Flourish Award Winner-Solo Show Huddersfield Art Gallery,
•Summer Exhibition. London Print Studio
•Making Space-Silk Museum, Macclesfield.
•Impressions 2016-Artistbook Biennial, Galway
•The Baltic Artist Book Fair. Newcastle
•London Original Print Fair, Royal Academy
•Prints@44AD-Bath Fringe Festival.
•RE Original Prints. Bankside Gallery, London
•Featured Artist-Bath Contemporary Arts. 2016
•4th Biennial Internat. Open Print. New Zealand
• Remix/Reimagine@Impress 2016. Gloucs.
•A New Home. Arts Pavilion, Mile End , London.
•AMBruno. Chelsea School of Art. London
•Print Exhibition-Alberta Printmakers, Canada.
•RE: Follow-ed (after Hokusai). Cabinet du Livre D’Artiste, Universite Rennes.
•24th Annual Salon. Trelaze, France.
•PMC 50th Anniversary Exhibition-Bankside
•The Masters-Relief Prints. Bankside Gallery.
•Draw 15. Menier Gallery, London. Oct
•Flourish Award. WYPW. 2015
•Sheffield International Artist’s Book Prize. Bank Street Arts.
•Soc. of Bookbinders Conf. & Comp'n Awards-Shepherds London & Keeble University
•National Original Print Exhibition. Bankside Gallery.
•LOOP 2015. Bankside Gallery, London.
•Starting Small. Central Gallery, New York.
•Pressing Identities. West Yorkshire Print Works.
•Power of Ten-Stroud International Textile Festival. Museum in the Park. Stroud.
•Invoking Wonder Seminar-SIT Festival [Guest Speaker]. Museum in the Park. Stroud.
•Carnegie Library-Herne Hill. London.
•RE Originals. Bankside Gallery, London.
•London Original Print Fair '15. Royal Academy, London.
•London Group Draw Il. Cello Factory, London.
•I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine. St. Augustine’s Tower, London.
•Drawn 2015. Royal West of England Academy, Bristol.
•Works on Paper. Barbican. London. 2015
•Outside the Margin.13th Biennial Pyramid Atlantic Fair & Conference. USA 2014
•Works on Paper. Bath Contemporary Arts, Bath. 2014
•Small Publishers Fair. Conway Hall, London 2014
•London Art Bookfair. Whitechapel Gallery, London
•AMBruno-Lists. Leeds College of Art Library, Leeds.
•Berliner Liste. Postbahnan, Berlin
•Mokuhan Ehon. International MokuHanga Conference. Tokyo-University of the Arts, Japan.
•Ebb & Flow. Grimsby Minster
•Building. Central Booking, New York, USA.
•Standout Prints. Highpoint Centre for Printmaking, Minneapolis, USA
•The National Original Print Exhibition. Bankside Gallery, London
•Bridging Post-Digital Technologies. Harry Wood Gallery, State University, Arizona.
•ELP Annual Exhibition. Embassy Tea Gallery, London.
•Summer Exhibition. London Print Studio, London.
•LOOP 2014. Bankside Gallery, London.
•Pushing The Limits. Central Booking, New York, USA .
•James Joyce & Co. Hadgigeorgakis Kornesios Mansion, Nicosia, Cyprus.
•Art in a Box. One Church Gallery, Missenden. Bucks.
•RE Original Prints. Bankside Gallery. London.
•Art Libris Book Fair 2014. Arts Santa Monica, Barcelona. Spain
•Bridges-SGC International Conference. San Francisco.
•SKETCH 2013. Plymouth College of Art.
•RWS Contemporary Watercolour Competition. Bankside Gallery, London.
•17th International Contemporary Artist’ Book Fair. The Tetley, Leeds