German artist Frank Uhlig, based in Balingen in the Stuttgart metropolitan area, has been working as a professional photographer since the 1990s and also as a tutor in photography in recent years.
After graduating, he followed his fascination for photography, starting out as an assistant to a fashion photographer. From there he was trained at a classic photography school and worked with various high-profile photography studios. The experience gained during his professional career covers the entire domain of photography, from analogue b/w processing, digital image post processing and graphic design to fully edited photo productions.
For the last 15 years he has been dedicating himself to university art education teaching fine-art and applied photography, post processing, analogue darkroom processing and print design.
Parallel to this, he pursues his own artistic projects, currently exploring and interweaving perceptions of motion, time and space. The key compositional features of his work are line, plane, texture and colour. Many of his works are reminiscent of classic artistic techniques, like printing, etching and painting without ever attempting to copy them. He is intrigued by the idea of sounding out the uniqueness of photography – sometimes pushing it to its limits. He objects to any kind of dogmatism.
In his freelance work Frank Uhlig is not interested in the alleged “objectivity” of photography, he intentionally creates subjective images. His works are meant to interpret rather than document, deliberately defying the classic approach of capturing a single, unique moment.
His works span a wide array of topics, often originating in every-day situations and subject to continuous change. Creating sufficient space for “speculation” to awaken within the viewer the fascination of the vague and blurred is one of the artist’s prime objectives.
Frank Uhlig’s works have received numerous accolades and awards.
• since 1997 Lecturer and head of department for photography & freelance in photo art
• 1988-1997 Advertising photography for different companies
Classic photographic education and qualification, afterwards commercial photography
• 2021 My magazine "VAGUE", Issue #1/2021 is out now: "VAGUE" Issue #1/2021, available on BlurbBooks
• 2020 Artworks from my series »VAGUE« has been selected for various hotel interior projects, The Alloy Philadelphia / US, Virgin Hotels / US
• 2020 Artwork delivered to various collectors in United States
• 2019 Artwork from my series »VAGUE« has been selected for a luxury hotel bar area, Marriott, Anaheim / US
• 2019 Artwork from my series »VAGUE« has been selected for a elevator cab (53"w x 87"h), public plaza, / US
• 2019 Featured in »New This Week Collection« / Saatchi Art, [curated by Rebecca Wilson Chief Curator and VP, Art Advisory at Saatchi Art], Santa Monica / US
• 2019 Artwork delivered to various collectors in United States
• 2018 Artwork from my series »VAGUE« has been selected for luxury hotel, Don CeSar Hotel, US
• 2018 Featured at »IM LÄNDLE«, Lifestyle-Blog, Germany
• 2018 Artwork delivered to various collectors in United States & Netherlands
• 2017 Published artwork at »SQUARE MAGAZINE«, Issue 802, UK
• 2017 Artwork from my series »VAGUE« has been selected for a luxury hotel lobby (96"w x 36"h), Sheraton International, Indianapolis / US
• 2017 Artwork delivered to various collectors in United States, Netherlands, Abu Dhabi & Canada
• since 2017 Represented by »ARTY COLOR GALLERY«, Paris / France
• 2017 Published artwork from »SHEET LIGHTNING« at »L’ŒIL DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE«, [nominated by Jean Jacques Naudet / Editorial Director], Paris / France
• since 2016 Collaboration with »DAC ART CONSULTING«, Atlanta / US