Alex White Mazzarella was born in Boston, USA in 1979. A lifelong artist, he graduated university with degrees in economics and city planning before setting off to Barcelona and consequently Hong Kong to explore street art and the culture of the public realm.
For Alex, the city, as a multitude of communities, bed of active cultures and place of common citizenship, served as Alex's aperture into artistic expression and articulation. Originally inspired by the work of Hundertwasser, street art and specifically Kirchner, Basquiat, Pollock, and Tapies were instrumental to his becoming a professional artist. Moving to new York City in 2007 would see his talent and passion for drawing and cartons reignited with a focused trajectory and purpose; to transcend phenomenon and experience living in the 21st century. His world travels, observations and juxtapositions have been a constant force, providing an insight that has in turn shaped his life.
Nurtured by Larry Poons, Phillip Sherrod and Hugo Bastidas of the Art Students League, he has been exhibiting his paintings and artwork in New York since early 2009 after being discovered by Richard Temperio of the Sideshow Gallery. He is the Founding Director of Artefacting a global social arts project dedicated to stimulating community cohesion, dialogue and social justice. He sparked Artefacting as an initiative and practice of utilize art in the diverse public spaces of communities worldwide as a tool to bridge differences, open perspective, and manifest cultural undercurrents.
His works are in private collections in the United States, Europe and India and in the Museum collection of CoCCA, the Coimbatore Centre for Contemporary Art.
The Art Students League of New York
Mixed Media Painting
Portland State University
Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña
Arquitectura y Urbanismo
• “Design. Action. Social Innovation” panelist & speaker, Architecture Boston Expo, Nov 2012, Boston, MA
• “Urban Responses” panelist & speaker, India Design Forum, March 2012, New Delhi, India
• “Artefacting Mumbai” exhibition presenter & speaker, Queens Museum of Art, Nov 2011, New York, NY
• "Artefacting Detroit" speaker, Queens Museum of Art, Oct 2011, New York, NY
• “Artefacting Mumbai” speaker & presenter, Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and
Environmental Studies, Feb 2011, Mumbai, India
• "Queens International Biennial", New York 2013
• "WASTED", Resobox Gallery, New York, (SOLO) 2013
• “Culture in Transition”, WWII Tank Site, Kohima, Nagaland, India, 2012
• “Dharavi, the Engine that Runs Mumbai”, Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center, Cambridge, MA, 2012
• “Artefacting Mumbai”, Queens Museum of Art, Queens, NY, 2011
• “Artefacting Detroit”, Local Project, Long Island City, NY, 2011
• “Seeds of an Artist”, 122 Pratt St Art Space, Baltimore, MD, (SOLO), 2011
• “13th Compound Exhibition”, Sanaulah Compound, Dharavi, Mumbai, India, 2011
• “Fragmented“, Schiltkamp Gallery, Clark University, Worcester, MA (SOLO), 2010
• “Society Under Fire” Soapbox Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, (SOLO), 2010
• Copenhagen Art Fair, Copenhagen Denmark, 2010
• “Beyond the Line“, Chashama 112 Gallery, Manhattan NY (SOLO), 2010
• Oslo Art Fair, Oslo, Norway, 2009
• “Hacia Afuera“, Art for Change, New York, NY, 2009
• “Goo’z 128”, Gallery Onetwentyeight, New York, NY, 2009
• “Urban Slant”, Henry Art Center, New York, NY, 2009
• “It’s a Wonderful World”, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, 2009