Dynamism is central to Matthew Dean’s work.
An established filmmaker and animator he has in recent years been developing his drawing and painting.
Working from life Dean explores movement through form, expanding on and developing techniques that he once studied as an animator.
Often using professional dancers as models he commits to canvas and more recently to mirror and metal; his focus on the dynamics of movement.
Leaving the viewer with the impression that time itself has been captured, we just glimpse enough for us to step into his world.
Dean’s ability to move between mediums is evident and his latest body of work on glass serves to reinforce the spirited quality of his work.
Adding to his repertoire Matthew has started producing pure abstract work.
Producing installation works based on energy, dynamics and shape. Tamed and untamed.
• UWE Bristol Animation Course: October –December 2002 – Stop Motion Animation
• The arts institute at Bournemouth: July 2002- September 1999 – BA
• The arts institute at Bournemouth: July 1998- September 1996 - HND
• 2 years GNVQ in arts and mutiny media – 1994 to 1996
• A Level in Fine Art – 1993 to 1994
Messums Gallery Tisbury – VSAT (Veronica Stewart Arts Trust) July 2018