A woman’s figure has become a characteristic, original symbol of Agnieszka Borkowska’s works. The character from her paintings is young, representing a contemporary type of beauty. She is usually immersed in her thoughts, focused and seems absent and full of mystery. She is presented in nondescript surroundings, often in close-up, and attracts the whole attention of the viewer, who steps into her intimate territory, almost as a seasoned voyeur. Borkowska’s paintings fall neither into a generic scene category, nor a portrait one, as the artist concentrates her whole attention on capturing emotions and thoughts of her characters – their dilemmas, desires and fears.
In many of her works a woman is presented in antithetic arrangement, associated with decorative motifs typical for antiquity or the Renaissance. Due to such measure, the figures seem less obvious, they become more decorative and thus are treated more like objects. On the other hand, the artist by presenting the same figure, only facing the opposite direction, refers to women’s dual nature and brings to our notice ambiguous attitudes and dilemmas they experience before they make crucial life decisions – all this suggests that women from the paintings are treated as objects. Borkowska juggles here a popular, dominant and embedded in art through ages image of a woman, reduced to an attractive form, by confronting it with an image of a person with their own identity and will and by creating reflective characters.
Many of Borkowska’s works are of small format, which emphasizes their intimate character. In each painting the artist ushers us into a personal world of a woman and leaves us alone with her thoughts and emotions. At the same time, every paining and every character offers pieces of universal truths about femininity, which Borkowska is trying to define. The artist, however, does not refer to the social and cultural roles and clichés, but touches upon the realm of emotions, senses and intuition. She does it in a subtle manner, leaving us free to build an individual image of femininity in our minds and letting us adapt it to our own sensitivity.
1998-2004 Academy of Fine Arts in Lodz
MUSEUM OF MODERN ART IN GDANSK , POLAND , 2019
True Love, Przestrzeń Robocza, Lodz 2014 (individual)
123 Ich suche, Glasbau e.V., Pfarrkirchen, Germany 2014 (individual),
3 Meetings of Independent Art, Galeria nad Wisłą,
Signs of the Times, Centre of Contemporary Art, Toruń 2013,
Galeria Promocji Młodych, Lodz 2013,
Counterpoint, Galeria Elektor,MCKiS, Warsaw 2013,
Galerie Sandhofer, Innsbruck 2010 (individual),
- Intimate Reassessments, Galeria Fabrykancka, Lodz 2010 (individual),
- International Contemporary Art Exhibition 2010 FOCUS EUROPA, Plesenburg Castle, Kulumbach, Germany 2010,
-Biennial of Small Painting Forms, Galeria Wozownia, Toruń 2010,
- Art Fair in Innsbruck, Galerie Sandhofer, Austria 2010,
- Sweet in Art, BWA, Legnica 2009,
- Festival of Polish Contemporary Painting, Zamek Książąt Pomorskich, Szczecin 2008,
-His Ego, Galeria DLA,Toruń 2008,
- selected works from the Triennale of Polish Painting, Umelcov spisa gallery, Nova spiska ves, Slovakia 2008,
Studio ACH, Warsaw 2008,
-4th Biennial of Contemporary Painting and Fabrics, Muzeum Miasta Gdynia, Gdynia 2007,
- 3rd Polish Marian Michalak Competition,
- The City Art Gallery, Częstochowa 2007,
- Triennale of Polish Contemporary Painting, Rzeszów 2007,
- About Ourselves, Miejska Galeria Sztuki, Łódź 200,
- Biennial of Small Painting Forms, Galeria Wozownia,Toruń 2007.