- Photo: Naples, Italy, March 2019
- Born April 1947, married, 2 children, 5 grand children.
- Graduated in economics, then swiss banker in private banking from 1974 to 2007.
- Started drawing in travel sketchbooks (self taught) at the age of 48 in 1995, and painting much later in 2007 at the age of 60.
- Also "urban sketcher" (http://christophemercier-travelsketch.blogspot.ch).
My desire to paint comes from the interest for expressing something aesthetic or gaudy, for finding an unstable equilibrium, for experimenting with different approaches, for renewal, testing, trying.
Even though I’ve done mini-series, I don’t like to stick to one repetitive process. To me, painting is a dialogue between control and letting go and abstraction is of particular interest because it allows us to to express things that would otherwise escape our senses. It’s still a large field, even though everything is supposed to have already been made.
- 2008 to 2010, Art school Ceruleum, Lausanne, 3 years twice a week, professor Fabienne Voegli-Bidiville.
- 2008 & 2010, 2 workshops of 1 week each at La Distylerie Filambule-Ecole d'Arts, Fleurville, France with painter DoDe Lambert.
- 2020 :
- Painting « La Différence » featured in « New This Week 1-13-2020 » by Rebecca Wilson, Chief Curator and VP, Art Advisory at Saatchi Art
- 2019 :
- Painting « Suddenly » featured in « New This Week 8-5-2019 » by Rebecca Wilson, Chief Curator and VP, Art Advisory at Saatchi Art
- 2019, 2018, 2017 : submissions to Luxembourg Art Prize, not selected in the 10 finalists.
- 2020. 2019, 2018 : submissions to The Other Art Fair, London, not selected.
- 2014 :
- Painting "EP4" featured by Rebecca Wilson in the Abstract Art Now Collection on Saatchi Art's homepage, Feb. 11th 2014, sold Dec. 2014
- Showdown Saatchi Art In glorious colour with "La fontaine à palabres"
- 2013 :
- Painting "La fontaine à palabres" selected in collection "New This Week 11-04-2013" curated by Rebecca Wilson.
- Showdown Saatchi Art In living colours with "Fenêtre sur coeur 1", Back to Nature with "Back to Nature!", Painted Faces with "Profils, lessives et drapeaux de prières"
- 2012 : Showdown Saatchi Art Abstract with "My left foot", Surreal with "Halloween", Places & Spaces with "My mental place 1" (gone through the 1st round)
- 2011 : Showdown Saatchi Art, Collage with "Pour Survivre"
Works in private collections (20) :
- France : 3 (Paris, Belle-Ile-en-Mer, St Laurent-du-Maroni)
- Portugal : 1 (Estoril)
- Switzerland : 8 (Lausanne, Verbier, Blonay, Moudon, Vevey)
- Tunisia : 3 (Tunis)
- USA : 3 (Los Angeles, St Louis, Alpine NJ)
- UK : 2 (Windsor)